Our art-based programs, workshops, and events for 65+ appeal to a wide variety of abilities and interests.
Hyde Park Art Center strives to develop a creative community in which everyone has a voice. We are committed to life-long learning through skill-based participatory art making classes and workshops. These offerings provide the 65 + community an opportunity to express themselves through the arts and/or as Artists.
Programs & Special Events
By opening up existing courses and creating special workshops and events, we cultivate a social aspect that encourages the 65+ age group to come in contact with new and interesting people and ideas. Enjoy our vibrant community by joining a class, workshop or event, and work with artists of every age and skill level to have a meaningful artistic experience.
Let's Talk About Art
Let’s Talk About ART: Focus on Visual Poetry
Join our Artful Aging Program for those 65+ in our first collaboration with The Poetry Foundation as we explore the power of poetry.
5-week hybrid Program – This will be virtual with in-person opportunities.
Wednesday April 17, 2024 – a virtual meeting from 1 – 2 p.m.
- This will be a brief introduction of the Poetry Foundation, the magazine and the history or the organization.
- Discuss work by Chicago Poets
Wednesday April 24, 2024 – a virtual meeting from 1 – 2 p.m.
- Explore Visual Poetry
May 1, 2024 – meet in person at the Chicago Poetry Foundation, 61 W Superior Street, Chicago, IL 60654 – 312-787-7070 from 1 – 2 p.m.
- View and discuss the Kara Walker exhibit installed at the Poetry Foundation
May 8, 2024 – Meet in person at Hyde Park Art Center, 5020 S. Cornell, Chicago, IL 60615, 773-324-5520 from 1 – 3 p.m.
- A workshop to create a poem and share with the group
Let’s Talk About Art: Focus on OPERA
Join our Artful Aging Program for those 65+ in our first collaboration with Lyric Opera Chicago as we explore the classic opera Aida.
This 5 week program will meet virtually for 1-hour each session, free of charge. We will explore Verdi’s masterpiece through virtual discussion and aspects of its creation, production and themes in general. As part of the 5-week proigram, the Lyric has graciously offered free tickets for participants to attend the actual performance at the matinee on Thursday, April 4th 2024 at 2pm.
Thursdays: March 14th, 21st, 28th, from 1:00pm- 2:00pm:
- Virtual discussions about aspects of creation, production and opera in general.
Thursday April 4th 2024 at 2:00pm:
- Particpants attend the performance of Aida at the Civic Opera House (home of the Lyric Opera Chicago).
Thursday, April 11th 2024 1:00pm – 2:00pm
- An in-person workshop at Hyde Park Art Center where participants will create a piece of art inspired by Aida.
The Zoom Link will be sent to all registered participants after registering.