ChakaFest 2015, a music and art-making event celebrating the legendary Chaka Khan!
- Renowned Chicago-based DJ Maurice “Ice” Culpepper” will be spinning Chaka and Chaka-inspired tunes for your dancing pleasure. Please note that Chaka Khan will not be performing at this event. But there will be dancing and music and fun. LOTS of it.
- Chaka Khan themed art-making activity
- Cash Bar (Approved Identification required) light snacks served. If you would like something more substantial to eat, Bridgeport Coffee Company located within the Hyde Park Art Center, will be selling items until 9 p.m. and there are a number of restaurants on 53rd Street here in Hyde Park
Parking is very tight, so we are encouraging the use of Public Transportation. The #6 and #28 buses stop at the corner of Hyde Park Blvd and Cornell Ave about a block from Hyde Park Art Center.
Paid Parking is available at the Harper Court Parking Garage located at 5222 Lake Park Ave (just south of McDonalds). The rates are $10 for 2- 4 hours; $12 for 4 – 6 hours and $15 for 6 – 12 hours. This is about 3 blocks from Hyde Park art Center.
The Unofficial ChakaFest 2015 After Party will take place at The Promontory from 10 p.m. – 2 a.m.
The Promontory is located at 5311 S. Lake Park and the After Party will include
- Soul DJ Duane Powell spinning Funk, Jazz, Soul, House, Disco, R & B and more
- The Promontory will feature a specialty drink, the ChakaShot